Key numbers of apiculture
Ethiopia: There is no official data on the total number of beekeepers in Ethiopia, but Gupta (2014) estimated it to be more than 1 million.  The number of bee hives in the country (2016) is 6,189,329 (FAO 2018),  while the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (2007) estimated the total number of honey bee colonies (hived and feral honey bee colonies) to be ~10 million (2007).  The data has been put in context with the official numbers of the total population size and the total country area, resulting in 0.91 beekeepers/km2, 6.19 colonies/beekeeper, 5.61 colonies/km2 and 0.06 colonies/capita.
Indonesia: There is no official data on the total number of beekeepers, nor the number of hives for Indonesia, but the Indonesian Central Bureau of Statistics (BPS) provided information on beekeeping with A. mellifera in West Java. Thus, the number of hives in West Java was 7,141 in 2016. The data has been put in context with the official numbers of the total population size (West Java) and the total country area (West Java) resulting in 0.20 colonies/km2 and 0.0002 colonies/capita. 
Table: Available key numbers of apiculture (total population, total country area [km2], no. of beekeepers, no. of hives, beekeepers/km2, colonies/beekeeper, colonies/km2, colonies/capita, and the total amount of honey/year) are shown.
|Ethiopia||West Java (Indonesia)|
|Total Population (2017)||104,957,438 ||46,709,600  (263,991,379) |
|Total country area [km2]||1,104,300 ||35,377  (1,904,569) |
|No. of beekeepers||>1 mio ||N/A (N/A)|
|No. of hives (A. mellifera)||6,189,329 ||7,141  (N/A)|
|Total amount of honey/year [kg] (2016)||47,706,000 ||35,798.8  (N/A)|
- Gupta, R. K., Reybroeck, W., van Veen, J. W., & Gupta, A. (2014). Beekeeping for Poverty Alleviation and Livelihood Security: Vol. 1: Technological Aspects of Beekeeping. Dordrecht, Springer Netherlands.
- FAO. (2018). FAOSTAT database collections. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Rome. URL (access date: 12.06.2018): http://faostat.fao.org
- MoARD (2007). Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. Livestock Development Master Plan Study. Phase I Report - Data Collection and Analysis, Volume N - Apiculture. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- BPS. (2018). Badan Pusat Statistik. Indonesia. Access date: 12.06.2018.
- UN Statistics. (2005). URL (access date: 12.06.2018): https://unstats.un.org/home/
- BPS. (2016). Badan Pusat Statistik. Indonesia. Access date: 12.06.2018.